I am so excited to be diving head first into a brand new year and decade. Yes, everything is the same as it was last week, and I feel a particularly strong sense of ‘clean start’ as we enter 2020. In the last few months of 2019, many empowering pieces fell into place and stresses sloughed away. I’m excited to start prioritizing my personal goals and projects to create the life I want.
When reflecting on the most memorable days, weeks, and months of my life, there are strong themes of adventures, learning, and self improvement. I love tackling new problems head on, and learning how to adjust for optimal results, and push forwards. I love overcoming a new adversity and I doubt any craft will hold my attention long enough for me to master beyond 85%.
I feel that 2020 is the year of driving towards new and different adventures and being open to the universe. To that end, I have identified three themes that will move me in said direction:
- Complex execution: Extended trips, expensive flights, and big time investments are hard to make if one is not confident in one’s ability to pull off a complex trip. I’m great at spur-of-the-moment adventures or off-the-cuff road trips, and tend to shy away from anything that requires a carefully thought-through plan or a large up-front financial investment. I need to get over that.
- Cultivating community: I’m a very solitary person, and I like to be alone. I’m also very wary of isolating myself to the point that I have no choice in the matter. Traditionally, I’ve hiked and backpacked alone and there are practical limits to how far I can go alone. This year I’m being less afraid of making plans with people and starting to build a community of adventure friends.
- Learn new skills: What the heck is the point of living if you’re not learning new things!? I love learning and have been really focused on skills to advance my career for a long time. I’m excited to start focusing on skills and knowledge for the sake of learning.
Based on the themes that will move me towards my ideal life, I have selected the following goals for 2020:
- Plan a 4 – 7 days backpacking trip with friends;
- Complete a Mountains Skills course to learn how to not die in the mountains (especially glacier travel!);
- Climb a mountain, using all the newly refined mountaineering skills;
- Hike the North Coast Trail of Vancouver Island;
- Plan a Christmas 2020 climbing trip.
I’m really looking forwards to hitting each and every one of these goals in the next 12 months.
Why did you or did your not set goals this year?